Select a letter from those below to go directly to a list of towns and parishes whose names start with that letter:
NOTE: This page does not provide a complete Gazetteer of Devon, as it is just meant to provide direct access to the various individual town and parish pages. Instead, following Wilcox's National Index of Parish Registers, Volume 8, Part 5: Devon, and Peskett's Guide to the Parish and Non-Parochial Registers of Devon and Cornmall 1538-1837, it merely lists, under their various names, all the pre-1837 parishes, together with the names of towns and sizeable villages that were not parishes, and place names that might be confused with parish names.
Other Ways of Finding Places in Devon
A compilation of places, over 7,500 in number, in Devon has been created as part of the overall GENUKI Gazetteer (which is used for the "Nearby Places" button on each parish page). This compilation was produced using the detailed Devon parish maps provided in Kain and Oliver's Historical Parishes of England and Wales, which are based on the 1945-48 one inch to the mile Ordnance Survey Maps. The place names that have been collected are those of all the named human habitations and constructions (villages, farms, cross-roads, etc.) but not in general those of natural features such as hills and woods. Non-specific descriptors such as "Mill" or "Weir" are not included. The GENUKI Gazetteer indicates which parish each place is located in, and also each place's actual OS grid reference (set up to act as a link via which the place can be found on a variety of maps).This gazetteer can be searched using the search form:
A yet more extensive listing of Devon places (nearly 12,000 in number) is provided by the Online Devon Gazetteer. This has been produced mainly from White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire (1850), whose text is used to to infer (unfortunately not necessarily always accurately) which parish or town the various places (chapels, churches, farms, hamlets, houses, inns, manors, schools, streets, villages, etc.) are located in. (This listing does not provide actual grid references.)
You may also find it worthwhile searching for churches in the Devon section of the GENUKI church database.
- Devon's parishes are grouped into set of Hundreds - here is a Listing of Hundreds which provides, for each hundred, a brief description, plus a set of links to the relevant parish pages.
- Graham Jaunay has kindly provided a listing covering both modern and ancient parishes, and indicating how the modern parishes relate to the original ancient parishes.
- Ian Mortimer has provided a very useful Guide to the Manors of Devon, which links links all the manorial units of Devon with the parishes in which they were situated, from Domesday Book (1086) to the abolition of copyhold tenure in 1922.
- Listing of modern parishes, grouped into deaneries.
- Listing of Devon's Market Towns, from W.G. Hoskins: Devon, A New Survey of England. London, Collins (1954).
Devon Towns and Parishes
- Exeter (cont)
- Exminster Hundred - see Exminster
Exmoor (Somerset) - but the following Devon parishes are sometimes regarded as being in the general Exmoor area: Brendon, Challacombe, Countisbury, East Anstey, High Bray, Lynton, Martinhoe, Molland, North Molton, Parracombe, Twitchen, West Anstey
- Exmouth - see in Littleham (near Exmouth) and Withycombe Raleigh
- Exwick - see in Exeter St Thomas the Apostle
- Salcombe - see in Malborough
- Salcombe Regis
- Saltash Passage - see in St Budeaux
- Sampford Courtenay
- Sampford Peverell
- Sampford Spiney
- Sampford St Swithun - see Sandford
- Seaton and Beer
- Scor(r)iton - see Buckfastleigh
- Seaton - see Seaton and Beer
- Shaugh Prior
- Shebbear Hundred - see Shebbear
- Sherwell - see Shirwell
- Shillingford Abbot - see in Exminster
- Shillingford St George
- Shiphay - see in St Marychurch
- Shirwell Hundred - see Shirwell
- Shittstor - see Sheepstor
- Sidford - see in Sidbury
- Sombridge - see Swimbridge
- South Allington - see in Chivelstone
- South Bovey - see Bovey Tracey
- South Brent
South Hams - see also Ashprington, Aveton Gifford, Berry Pomeroy, Bickleigh (near Plymouth), Bigbury, Blackawton, Brixton, Buckland Tout Saints, Charleton, Chivelstone, Churchstow, Cornwood, Cornworthy, Dartington, Dartmouth, Dean Prior, Diptford, Dittisham, Dodbrooke, East Allington, East Portlemouth, Ermington, Halwell, Harberton, Harford, Holbeton, Holne, Kingsbridge, Kingston, Kingswear, Littlehempston, Loddiswell, Malborough, Marldon, Modbury, Moreleigh, Newton Ferrers, North Huish, Rattery, Revelstoke, Ringmore, Shaugh Prior, Sherford, Slapton, South Brent, South Huish, South Milton, South Pool, Staverton, Stoke Fleming, Stoke Gabriel, Stokenham, Thurlestone, Totnes, Ugborough, Wembury, West Alvington, Woodleigh, and Yealmpton
- South Huish
- South Milton
- South Molton
- South Molton Hundred - see South Molton
- South Pool
- South Tawton