"ICKHAM, a parish in the hundred of Downhamford, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 5 miles E. of Canterbury, its post town, and 2½ from the Bekesbourne station, on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway. It is situated on the river Stour, and contains the hamlet of Well Street. It was anciently named Yecham. The land is principally arable and meadow, with about 90 acres of hop-grounds. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £1,000. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £997, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, has a square tower, and has recently been restored. The parochial charities produce £15 per annum. There is a parochial school. The principal residence is Leigh Priory, situated in the midst of a park. It was in 1785 the property of Thomas Barrett, Esq., from whom it passed to its present owner; F. Phillips, Esq., who has had it recently enlarged. Well Court, the manor house, is situated near the river, and was formerly in the possession of the Cliffords. The Roman road from Canterbury to Richborough passed through this parish."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]