Abstract of Population 1821 - Census Statistical Returns 1822.
"Items of Interest in the Notes"
A compilation of the significant increases, or decreases in population since 1811,
transcribed by Alan Longbottom. © 2000
Note: Most Census returns between 1801 and 1831 amounted to little more than 'head counts'. This account (compiled in 1822) simply suggests reasons for local population changes, based on a comparison of those counts. Names of individuals were not recorded.
Halfshire Hundred Lower Division - Dudley Parish
Dudley is locally situate in Offlow Hundred Staffordshire. Additional coal-mines and iron-stone mines have been opened, and a correspondent number of iron-works erected since the year 1811 which accounts for the increase of Population, although other trades are in a depressed state at Dudley.
Oswaldslow Hundred Lower Division - Claines Parish and Whistons Tything.
The Entire Parish of Claines contains 3,853 inhabitants. A Branch of the Birmingham and Worcester Canal has greaatly increased the Population of this Parish. A new gaol at Whistons has a similar tendency.
Oswaldslow Hundred Lower Division - Wolverley Parish
Wolverley Parish extends into Upper Halfshire Hundred, and forms a detached portion of Lower Oswaldslow Hundred near Bewdley. The iron and tin manufactures have increased there.
Pershore Hundred Lower Division - Hanley Castle Parish
The resort of invalids and others to Malvern Wells, has greatly increased the Population of the Parish of Hanley Castle, in which these Wells are situate.
[Transcribed by Alan Longbottom in February 2000 from returns at the PRO, and made available with permission]