CLONAGOOSE, a parish, in the barony of IDRONE-EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER; comprising the village of Borris, which has a penny post to Goresbridge; and containing 2394 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called Clonegford, is bounded on the south-west by the river Barrow, the navigation of which extends to New Ross and Waterford, and up the river to Athy, where the canal to Dublin commences.
It comprises 5392 statute acres in a high state of cultivation, as applotted under the tithe act; there are about 325 acres of woodland and 460 of waste. The principal seats are Borris House, the residence of the ancient family of Kavanagh, for a description of which see BorCLO ris; and Kilcoltrim, of Luke Hagarty, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, episcopally united, in 1714, to that of Kiltennel, but recently separated from it, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Cloncurry. The tithes amount to £255, of which £165 is payable to the impropriator, and £90 to the vicar, whose income has been lately augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners with a grant of £20 per ann., from Primate Boulter's fund. A parochial church is in progress of erection, prior to which the only place of worship in connection with the Protestant establishment was a beautiful private chapel attached to Borris House, built by the late Mr. Kavanagh.
In the R. C. divisions this parish is partly attached to the union or district of Borris, and partly to that of Dunleckney; at the former is a handsome chapel, lately built at an expense of £2000. A parochial school for boys and girls, and an infants' and a Sunday school, are supported by subscription; and at Borris, Ballymartin, and Ballymurphy are national schools for both sexes: the day schools afford instruction to about 400 boys and 320 girls. A charitable loan fund of £60 is conducted for the benefit of the poor of all denominations.
The remains of the old church are situated in a burial-ground about a mile from Borris.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.