KILLINANE, a parish, partly in the barony of IDRONE-EAST, but chiefly in that of IDRONE-WEST, county of CARLOw, and province of LEINSTER, 1½ mile (S. W.) from Bagnalstown, on the road from Gowran to Carlow: containing 899 inhabitants. Killinane House is the residence of - Groome, Esq., and Malcolmville, of Capt. Mulhallen; the latter is situated on rising ground above the Barrow, and commands extensive views. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, forming the corps of the chancellorship, and in the gift of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £270. This parish is annexed, under the provisions of the act of the 4th of Geo. IV., c. 86, to the parish of Wells, and the inhabitants enjoy all the rights of its church, as if they were parishioners. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Old Leighlin. The old church is in ruins.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.