LORUM, a parish, in the barony of IDRONE-EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Leighlin-bridge, on the road from Carlow to New Ross; containing 1507 inhabitants. It comprises 5428 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £5033 per ann.; and contains Corries, the property of the Rudkin family, and Ballycormac House, late the residence of the Newton family.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, episcopaliy united to the vicarage of Slyguffe and the rectory of Ballyellin, together constituting the union of Lorum, in the gift of the Bishop: the rectory is impropriate in Lord Cloncurry. The tithes amount to £294. 4. 7¼., of which £196. 3. 1. is payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the vicar; the tithes of the entire benefice amount to £609. 4. 7. There is no glebe-house or glebe. The church, an old building, containing two modern tombs of the Rudkin family, has been recently repaired at an expense of £184 defrayed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Bagnalstown, and has a chapel at Ballinkellin. The parochial school was built and is supported by subscription; and in the national school, which is aided by £10 per ann. from Lord Beresford, about 160 children are educated: there is also a Sunday school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.