MOYACOMB, or CLONEGAL, a parish, partly in the barony of SHILLELAGH, county of WICKLOW, partly in that of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, but chiefly in that of ST-MULLINS, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Tullow to Newtownbarry, and on the river Perry; containing with the post-town of Clonegal and the village of Johnstown, (both separately described) 4877 inhabitants.
It comprises 28,204 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which 9347½ are in Wicklow, 9287½ in Wexford, and 9569 in Carlow. The portion in the county of Wexford includes the estate of Abbeydown, containing 452 plantation acres, which has been tithefree from time immemorial, and is considered extraparochial.
The soil is varied, and there are some patches of bog: the state of agriculture is gradually improving. A slate quarry has been lately opened on Gibbet hill, near Johnstown. Several fairs held at Clonegal are mentioned under that head; it is also a station of the constabulary police, and contains an old castellated mansion of the Esmonde family. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the La Touche family: the tithes amount to £850. The church, in the town of Clonegal, is a good modern building, erected in 1819, for which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £1300; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £186 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish is chiefly in the diocese of Kildare and Leighlin, and, together with the parish of Barragh, constitutes the union or district of Clonegal, containing the chapels of Clonegal and Kildavin; the remainder of the parish is in the diocese of Dublin, forming part of the union or district of Arklow, and containing the chapel of Ballyfad, near Johnstown. There is a meeting-house for Methodists at Clonegal. In the parochial school, supported by the rector, and in the national school at Clonegal, about 210 children are educated; and there are about 30 children in a private school. At Abbeydown are the remains of an ancient religious house, of which no account is extant.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.