TEMPLEPETER, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from Carlow, on the road to Fennagh, and on the river Burren; containing 349 inhabitants. Granite is plentiful, and the state of agriculture is improving.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £64. 10. The Protestant inhabitants attend divine service in the parish church of Dunleckney. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Dunleckney. There is a private school, in which about 100 children are instructed. The ruins of the old church remain.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.