Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Baronies

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Baronies

Baronies of County Kerry
  1. Iraghticonnor
  2. Clanmaurice
  3. Corkaguiny
  4. Trughanacmy
  5. Iveragh
  6. Dunkerron North
  7. Magunihy
  8. Dunkerron South
  9. Glanerought

"CLANMAURICE, a barony in the county of Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland. The county of Limerick describes its eastern boundary, the Atlantic its western, the barony of Trughenackmy is on the S., and Iraghticonnor on the N. It is 17 miles long by 12 broad, and covers a superficial extent of 120,756 acres, comprising the parishes of Kiltomey, O'Dorney, Killury, Kilshenane, Kilmoyly, Kilflyn, Killahan, Kilcaragh, Kilfeighny, Ballyheigue, and Finuge, and parts of Ardfert, Rattoo, Duagh, and Dysert, or Desert. The interior is mountainous and boggy. This barony is believed to have been an ancient Spanish colony of the Luceni, and was called Lixnaw, which name can still be traced in many local names. Its present name is derived from Maurice, eldest son of Raymond le Gros, from whom are descended the FitzMaurices and Kerrys."

[Description from The National Gazetteer (1868)]  
Clanmaurice - Area, 120, 52 acres; pop, 26,027; houses, 4,170
Parishes- A. - R. - P. houses pop
Ardfert pt 6,796 - 0 - 5 370 2,138
Ballyheige 11,260 - 3 - 19 441 2,735
Duagh pt 16,724 - 0 - 16 518 3,262
Dysert pt 3,978 - 2 - 4 92 607
Finuge 3,740 - 2 - 16 151 876
Kilcarragh 2,910 - 3 - 12 120 733
Kilfeighny 11,408 - 0 - 38 309 1,843
Kilflyn 6,696 - 2 - 20 190 1,169
Killahan 4,544 - 3 - 9 161 1,040
Killury 11,090 - 0 - 31 562 3,457
Kilmoyly 7,743 - 0 - 7 306 2,080
Kilshenane 13,478 - 1 - 17 237 1,560
Kiltomy 5,685 - 3 - 1 186 1,109
Listowel pt 21 - 2 - 0 ---- ----
O'Dorney 7,227 - 1 - 30 230 1,619
Rattoo 7,033 - 3 - 12 297 1,799
[Area and population, 1881 census, transcribed from Guy's Postal Directory of Munster (1886)]

"This barony of Clanmaurice has its name from Maurice the son of Raymond le Gros, as is before noticed. The ancient name of this country was Lixnaw, from the Lucensii of Spain, who formerly settlerd in it; which name the seat of the Earl of Kerry still retains, who was created Viscount Clanmaurice, and Earl of this county, 17 January 1722, the ninth year of George I, the Rt. Hon Thomas Fitzmaurice, the twenty first Baron of Kerry, and Lixnaw, having been advanced thereto."
[Description from The Ancient and Present State of the County of Kerry by Charles Smith (1756)]


"CORKAGUINY, a barony in the county of Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland. The Atlantic and Tralee Bay form the northern boundary, the barony of Trughanacmy the eastern, with Dingle Bay on the S., and the ocean on: the W. It is 24 miles in length, and its greatest breadth is over 9 miles. It contains the parishes of Ballinvoher, Ballynacourty, Ballyduff, Cloghane, Dunquin, Dingle, Dunurlin, Garfinny, Kilgobban, Kildrum, Killiney, Kilquane, Kilmalkedar, Kinard, Minard, Marhin, Stradbally, and Ventry, and part of Annagh; also the towns and villages of Dingle, Annascallo, Castlegregory, Stradbally, Ballyduff Ballinclare, Milltown, Cappaclough, Cloghane, and Killiney. The surface of the barony is mountainous, and stretches as a narrow neck into the sea, comprising an area of about 139,000 acres."

[Description from The National Gazetteer (1868)]  
Corkaguiny - Area, 138, 60 acres; pop, 21,497; houses, 3,550
Parishes- A. - R. - P. houses pop
Annagh pt 4,082 - 1 - 10 79 461
Ballinvoher 16,661 - 0 - 20 308 1,861
Ballyduff 6,983 - 1 - 39 42 294
Ballinacourty 6,983 - 1 - 17 181 1048
Cloghane 17,572 - 1 - 38 271 1,821
Dingle 9,097 - 0 - 27 580 3,380
Dunquin 4,396 - 2 - 12 109 659
Dunurlin 4,699 - 2 - 12 139 858
Garfinny 3,915 - 1 - 19 73 460
Kildrum 2,888 - 1 - 25 117 693
Kilgobban 10,415 - 3 - 13 173 1,061
Killiney 14,653 - 3 - 18 442 2,635
Kilmalkedar 5,899 - 3 - 39 223 1,370
Kilquane 9,708 - 3 - 37 167 1,049
Kinard 5,001 - 3 - 26 112 730
Marhin 2,794 - 1 - 11 90 548
Minard 6,055 - 2 - 36 129 755
Stradbally 4,020 - 3 - 7 141 840
Ventry 4,439 - 0 - 26 174 976
[Area and population, 1881 census, transcribed from Guy's Postal Directory of Munster (1886)]

"This barony is a peninsula of about 24 Irish miles in length, and 8 in breadth. It is washed on the south side by the bay of Dingle, or Castlemain, and on the north side by Tralee Bay; and answers to Cambden's general description of this county... 'That it shoots like a little tongue into the sea roaring on both sides of it.'
It contains no less than 20 parishes, which shows that this barony was formerly better inhabited than at present; each parish having had its respective church, most of which were very large, as appears by their ruins. There are now but 9 places of worship, in all this barony, viz. one protestant church, and 8 romish chapels, which cannot contain half the number of people that the old parish churches contained, nor can this decrease in the number of places of worship, be owing to any decay of religion, for all the Roman Catholics generally hear Mass every Sunday and Holyday; and from this, and several other reasons, it might be proved, that not only in this barony, but also in most other parts of the county, the number of inhabitants is prodigiously decreased.
Corkaguiny is generally subdivided into 2 parts, or half baronies; they give that name to the southern and western part of this peninsula; and on the northern side which is very coarse and mountainous is called Litteragh.
In the southern division are also large tracts of mountain, which have been formerly cultivated up to the top. Several of them, which are but poor barren rocks, have great numbers of old enclosures and marks of culture on their sides, which are now neglected; and this is a further circumstance that tends to prove that it has been better peopled formerly than at present.
The country people are prepossessed with an opinion that most of the old fences in these wild mountains, were the work of the ancient Danes, and that they made a kind of beer of the heath which grows there; but these enclosures are more modern than the time when that northern nation inhabited Ireland. Many of them were made to secure cattle from wolves, which animals were not entirely extirpated, until about the year 1710; as i find by presentments for raising money for destroying them in some old grand jury books. And the more ancient enclosures were made about cornfields, which were most numerous before the importation of potatoes, into Ireland, than at present.
The fet of these mountains have several small brooks flowing from them, into both bays, near which, the industrious inhabitants have cultivated several large tracts of ground, that produce good crops of barley, oats, and wheat. They are encouraged to pursue agriculture because of the convenience of sea sand, which is an excellent manure; and this barony is thereby esteemed the granary of the whole county."
[Description from The Ancient and Present State of the County of Kerry by Charles Smith (1756)]


"DUNKERRON, a barony in the county of Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland. It is divided into North and South Dunkerron, and is bounded on the N. by Corkaguiney, on the E. by Glanerought and Magonihy, on the S.W. by the Atlantic Ocean, and on the W. by Ivereagh. It contains the parishes of Kilcrohane, Knockane, Templenoe, and part of Killorglin and Aghadoe, comprising 171,155 acres. The surface is mountainous, and the locality is rich in scenery."

[Description from The National Gazetteer (1868)]  
Dunkerron, North - Area, 72,414 acres; pop, 5,780; houses, 972
Parishes- A. - R. - P. houses pop
Aghadoe pt 2,895 - 0 - 16 11 91
Killorglin pt 12,924 - 2 - 7 234 1,339
Knockane pt 55,317 - 3 - 12 714 4,283
Templenoe pt 1,276 - 3 - 1 13 67
 
Dunkerron, South - Area, 96,289 acres; pop, 11,063; houses, 1,852
Parishes- A. - R. - P. houses pop
Kilcrohane 62,912 - 0 - 23 1,384 8,295
Knockane pt 2,225 - 0 - 3 2 17
Templenoe pt 31,151 - 2 - 34 466 2,751
[Area and population, 1881 census, transcribed from Guy's Postal Directory of Munster (1886)]

"The barony of Dunkerron has its name from an ancient castle, which was the chief seat of O'Sullivan More, standing near the bottom of the river of Kenmare. According to Cambden, the castle was anciently built by the Carews of England, but this seems to be a mistake, as is likewise his saying that it was possessed by Donald MacCarty More, for it was always accounted the principal residence of the O'Sullivans, and probably erected by an ancestor of that house.
This barony extends from the head of the river of Kenmare, to the bay of Ballinaskeligs above 20 Irish miles, being washed on one side by that arm of the sea, which in some places forms several convenient creeks, and harbours, and is near 16 Irish miles broad.
In all this tract there is neither fair, or market, church in repair, or resident parson of the established church. Besides the ruins of the castle of Dunkerron, there is in the parish of Templenoe, the ruins of another called Cappanacushy, which belonged to a younger branch of O'Sullivan More's family; and is said to have been built by MacCrath, brother to O'Sullivan More, from whom the MacCraths of this place had their names. The family of MacCrehans of Iveragh are also descended from the O'Sullivans. This family of Cappanacushy in defect of heirs in O'Sullivan More's house, always succeeded to his lands, a branch of which family still resides near this castle. There are a few spots of tillage, and potato culture to be seen, scattered about here and there among the rocks, but most miserably secured from the depredations of cattle; so that, for want of hedges, or other fences, they are obliged to keep people in them, when corn is near ripe, to drive them out.
There is limestone found in some places towards the sea; and in the islands of Cappanacushy is a tolerable kind of grey marble; a considerable quantity of which, was formerly manufactured at the charge of Sir William Petty, whose estate it was."
[Description from The Ancient and Present State of the County of Kerry by Charles Smith (1756)]


"GLANEROUGHT, (or Glenarought), a barony in the county Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland, bounded on the W. by the barony of Dunkerrin and the Kenmare Firth, on the N. by the parish of Magonihy, and on the S. and E. by the county of Cork. It contains the parishes of Kenmare, Kilgarvan, and Tuosist, with a part of the parish of Kilcasken, comprising an area of 121,848 acres. The soil is extremely poor.

[Description from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Glanarought - Area, 121, 165 acres; pop, 10,448; houses, 1,584
Parishes- A. - R. - P. houses pop
Kenmare 22,507 - 2 - 5 562 3,632
Kilcaskan pt 16,386 - 2 - 5 127 863
Kilgarvan 43,631 - 0 - 24 422 2,866
Tuosist 39,340 - 2 - 37 473 3,087
[Area and population, 1881 census, transcribed from Guy's Postal Directory of Munster (1886)]

"IRAGHTICONNOR, a barony in county Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland. It is 15 miles long, and its greatest breadth is 13. It is bounded on the N. by the mouth of the Shannon, on the E. by county Limerick, and on the S. by the barony of Clanmaurice. Along the coast stretches a grand line of cliffs, with the caves of Ballybunion. The surface is damp and boggy. It contains the parishes of Aghavallen, Ballyconry, Gally, Killehenny, Kilconly, Kilnaughten, Knockanure, Lisselton, Listowel, Murhur, and parts of Duagh, Dysert, and Rattoo, likewise the towns of Tarbert, Listowel, and Ballylongford. This barony takes its name from the O'Connors of Kerry, to whom it formerly belonged."

[Description from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Iraghticonnor - Area, 88,105 acres; pop, 24,786; houses, 3,855
Parishes- A. - R. - P. houses pop
Aghavallen 16,743 - 0 - 0 720 4,231
Ballyconry 1,205 - 3 - 20 45 294
Duagh pt 2,977 - 0 - 0 94 605
Dysert pt 2,075 - 1 - 36 48 327
Galey 12,603 - 0 -17 315 3,122
Kilconly 5,742 - 0 - 18 220 1,320
Killehenny 4,664 - 0 - 31 262 1,507
Kilnaughtin 9,164 - 2 - 4 591 3,857
Knockanure 5,950 - 0 - 9 165 1,113
Lisselton 6,882 - 1 - 0 279 1,692
Listowel pt 8,231 - 2 - 18 738 5,236
Murher 10,698 - 2 - 18 366 2,392
Rattoo pt 1,168 - 2 - 10 12 90
[Area and population, 1881 census, transcribed from Guy's Postal Directory of Munster (1886)]

"IVERAGH, a barony in the county Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland. It is bounded on the N. by Dingle Bay, on the E. by the barony of Dunkerron, on the S. by Ballinskelligs Bay, and on the W. by the Atlantic. Its greatest length is 23½ miles, and its breadth 11. The coast is wild and rugged, with the outlying islands of Valencia, Beginish, and Puffin. The surface is mountainous and boggy. This barony contains the parishes of Cahir, Dromod, Killemilagh, Glenbeagh, Killinane, Prior, and Valencia, and part of Killorglin, with the town of Cahirsiveen."

[Description from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Iveragh - Area, 159,980 acres; pop, 23,546; houses, 4,220
Parishes- A. - R. - P. houses pop
Caher 19,796 - 1 - 17 868 4,736
Dromod 48,325 - 0 - 18 724 4,366
Glanbehy 30,258 - 3 - 4 625 3,411
Killemlagh 11,859 - 2 - 17 397 2,109
Killinane 26,868 - 0 - 0 441 2,558
Killorglin pt 5,402 - 0 - 25 513 2,824
Valencia 6,731 - 1 - 17 406 2,240
[Area and population, 1881 census, transcribed from Guy's Postal Directory of Munster (1886)]

"MAGUNIHY, a barony in county Kerry, province of Munster, Ireland. It is bounded by the baronies of Trughenackmy, Glanerought, Iveragh, and county Cork. It is 20 miles long, and its greatest breadth is 9 miles. This barony contains the parishes of Aglish, Kilbonane, Kilcredan, Kilcummin, Killaha, Killarney, Kilmanare, Molahiffo, and parts of Aghadoe, Currans, Kilcolman, Killeentierna, Killorglin, and Nohavaldaly."

[Description from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Magunihy - Area, 166,427 acres; pop, 29,687; houses, 4,559
Parishes- A. - R. - P. houses pop
Aghadoe pt 14,031 - 2 - 1 393 2,513
Aglish 4,857 - 0 - 2 183 1,110
Currans pt 723 - 2 - 17 6 41
Kilbonane 8,668 - 2 - 11 317 1,881
Kilcolman pt 1,982 - 0 - 27 61 387
Kilcredane 2,486 - 3 - 23 59 373
Kilcummin 38,952 - 2 - 39 1,031 6,316
Killaha 34,843 - 1 - 31 283 1,902
Killarney 34,789 - 0 - 33 1,342 9,656
Killeentierna pt 1,211 - 0 - 10 29 184
Killorglin pt 3,117 - 2 - 29 126 733
Kilnanare 5,130 - 1 - 15 161 1,014
Molahiffe 9,804 - 3 - 19 354 2,275
Nohavaldaly pt 5,258 - 3 - 10 214 1,302
[Area and population, 1881 census, transcribed from Guy's Postal Directory of Munster (1886)]

"TRUGHANACMY, a barony in county Kerry, province of Kerry, Ireland. It contains the parishes of Ballincuslane, Ballymacelligott, Ballynahaglish, Ballyseedy, Brosna, Castleisland, Clogherbrien, Dysert, Fenit, Kilgarrylander, Kiltallagh, Nohaval, O'Brennan, Ralass, and Tralee, and portions of Armagh, Ardfert, Currans, Kilcolman, Killeentierna, and Killorglin."

[Description from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Trughanacmy - Area, 195,147 acres; pop, 48,205; houses, 7,755
Parishes- A. - R. - P. houses pop
Annagh pt 9,764 - 0 - 31 295 1,710
Ardfert pt 3,336 - 2 - 2 144 911
Ballincuslane 39,737 - 2 - 36 639 4,248
Ballymacelligott 14,018 - 0 - 5 414 2,586
Ballynahaglish 3,005 - 1 - 29 205 1,166
Ballyseedy 3,489 - 0 - 18 141 797
Brosna 11,959 - 2 - 35 389 2,416
Castleisland 29,635 - 1 - 36 977 6,049
Clogherbrien 3,410 - 0 - 25 121 774
Currans pt 5,221 - 0 - 28 147 946
Dysert 6,073 - 3 - 23 149 950
Fenit 685 - 2 - 28 36 248
Kilcolman pt 5,769 - 0 - 12 375 2,057
Kilgarrylander 14,630 - 0 - 7 408 2,332
Kileentierna pt 9,020 - 0 - 4 271 1,615
Killorglin pt 9,402 - 0 - 4 866 4,639
Kiltallagh 4,740 - 0 - 2 126 722
Nohaval 3,304 - 1 - 17 79 569
O'Brennan 6,547 - 0 - 12 114 790
Ratass 6,982 - 2 - 23 350 3,194
Tralee 4,604 - 2 - 24 1,509 9,486
[Area and population, 1881 census, transcribed from Guy's Postal Directory of Munster (1886)]