TULLYCORBET, a parish, partly in the barony of CREMORNE, but chiefly in that of MONAGHAN, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Ballibay, on the road to Monaghan; containing 4833 inhabitants. It comprises 7913½ statute acres, according to the Ordnance survey, of land of good quality, which is generally well cultivated: there are several lakes within its limits, the two largest of which, Cordoo and Corfin, are near one another: there is a considerable extent of bog. Besides the usual crops of wheat, oats, barley and potatoes;rye and flax are grown; and a considerable quantity of linen is manufactured in the houses of the farmers. The mail coach road from Dublin to Derry skirts the parish on the east. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, forming the corps of the prebend of Tullycorbet in the cathedral of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £400. The glebe-house, which is in a dilapidated state, was built in 1773 by the then incumbent, at an expense of £634. 10.: the glebe, comprising 42 acres, is valued at £63 per annum. The church is a small and plain but neat edifice, situated on an eminence and erected at an expense of £850, by a loan from the late Board of First Fruits in 1831. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also that, of Ballibay; in each parish there is a chapel. There are three places of worship for Presbyterians; two situated respectively at Bradox and Cahans, belonging to the Seceding Synod, the latter being of the first class; and one for Covenanters, connected with that in the parish of Muckno. The parochial school is aided by the incumbent; there is a school at Creagh; in both these there are about 170 boys and 150 girls. There are also five private schools, in which are about 250 boys and 90 girls.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.