KILMACTEIGUE, a parish, in the barony of LENEY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 6 miles (N. E.) from Foxford, on the road to Ballymote; containing 7654 inhabitants. It comprises 10,550 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. About half the parish is arable and pasture; the remainder is mountain land, with some bog; agriculture is improving. There are some quarries of limestone, which is principally procured for building and repairing the roads. Iron ore from the mountains was smelted at Foxford until the wood used for fuel was exhausted. Fine salmon are taken in the river Moy. Lough Talt is situated in the midst of high mountains, on which large flocks of goats, &c., feed in summer; it is about a mile long, well stocked with small trout, and contains two small rocky islands, which in summer are covered with gulls. The principal seats are Glen Eask, the residence of J. Taaffe, Esq.; and Cloonbarry, of S. Robinson, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, and in the gift of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £223. 1. 6½.
There is a glebe-house, built at an expense of £1300, of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £300 and lent £500, in 1814: the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is a plain building. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has chapels at Kilmacteigue and Barrintogher. There are three public schools, to one of which Mr. Jones has given an acre of land, and in which about 300 children are educated; also a private school, in which are about 70 children, and a Sunday school. At Belclare is an ancient castle. See BANADA and ARDCLARE.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.