"A parish on the sea coast in the county of Berwick. It consists of two parts; one high and mountainous, the other comparatively low and even. The upper division makes part of the Lammermuir hills, which approach within 3 miles of the shore towards the W.; the lower division on the sea coast is light and sandy, interspersed with fields of rich deep clay. The shore is high, presenting a sea of cliffs about 100 feet above the level of the sea ... Situated near the boundary of the kingdom, and possessing many strong military passes, this parish has been frequently the scene of war: this appears from the camps still visible on the rising grounds, and the marks of military entrenchments in the glens ...Population in 1801, 930."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.