"A parish in the county of Berwick, extending 8 miles in length from E. to W. and nearly 6 in breadth ... The river Tweed is the boundary on the S. and possesses a valuable salmon fishing, the property of the Earl of Home. There was an ancient nunnery, of which nothing remains except 2 vaults, in the neighbourhood of the mansion of Eccles. About a mile to the N.E. of the village of Eccles is a monument erected to one of the Percies, who fell in an engagement with one of the rival family of Douglas, in which the slaughter was so dreadful, that tradition reports that a little streamlet in its neighbourhood ran with blood for 24 hours. Population in 1801, 1682."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.