"A parish in Berwickshire, about 4 miles long and 3½ broad, containing about 1900 acres. The surface is in general level, declining towards the S. The soil is remarkably good, except towards the N., where it is poor moor ground, on a cold tilly bottom. There is plenty of whin and freestone, fit for building, and clay and shell marl are found in considerable quantity. Population in 1801, 395."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.