"KILCHATTAN BAY, village and bay, 6 miles south of Rothesay, Isle of Bute. The village has a post office under Rothesay. Pop. 343. The bay has a half moon form, measures about 1½ mile across the mouth, and has a pier, erected in 1880. Plans were formed in 1880 for a large hotel, several villas, and a water supply."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]