"MILLPORT, town on south end of Big Cumbray Island, Buteshire. It curves round a crescent-shaped bay; adjoins the Earl of Glasgow's seat of Garrison; is a much-esteemed watering-place; consists chiefly of neat two-storey houses; and has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments, designated of Ayrshire, a banking office, 2 hotels, a public hall of 1872, a spacious iron pier of 1872, a beautiful Episcopalian church and college, Established, Free, United Presbyterian, and Baptist churches, and 2 public schools. Pop. 1838."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]