"MILNGAVIE (popularly MILLGUY), manufacturing town, 7 miles by road, but 9½ by railway, north-west of Glasgow. It has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments, under Glasgow, a terminal railway station, a quoad sacra parochial church, United Presbyterian and Roman Catholic churches, and 2 public schools with about 400 scholars. Pop. of the town 2636; of the quoad sacra parish, 2927."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]