"DAVIOT, (and Dunlichity) a united parish in the district of East Inverness, in the counties of Inverness and Nairn, Scotland. It extends nearly due N. and S., on both sides of the river Nairn, with a length of about 23 miles, and a breadth of from 2 to 4 miles. It is bounded on the N. by Croy, on the E. by Moy, on the S. by Kingussie, and on the W. by Dores. The surface is extremely wild, being bounded on the S. by part of the Monadhleagh mountains, on the W. by a chain attaining an altitude of about 1,500 feet, and on the N. by the ridge of Drummossie Moor, where it has an altitude of some 800 feet. The lakes of Ruthven and Dundelchach form part of the western boundary, and those of Coire and Clachan are situated in the interior. About 4,000 acres are under tillage, 1,500 are waste land or pasture, and 3,100 are underwood. In the valleys there are extensive peat mosses. Limestone containing load-ore, has been found near the Mains of Daviot, on the Nairn, and an extensive bed of marl in the Moss of Tordarroch. The road from Perth to Inverness crosses the S. end of the, parish, from which there is a branch road extending 13 miles westward to Inverfarigag pier on Loch Ness. This parish is in the presbytery of Inverness, and synod of Moray, and in the patronage of the crown and the Earl of Cawdor. The minister has a stipend of £187. The two parishes were united in 1618, but, notwithstanding, still retain their respective churches, glebes, and parish schools. The church of Daviot stands 4 miles from the N. end of the parish, and that of Dunlichity 7 miles S. of it, and 12 miles from the S. end of the parish. Service is performed alternately in the two churches every Sunday. There is also a Free church, with a large attendance."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)