" Lamington, vil. with ry. sta., Wandell and Lamington par., Lanarkshire, on right bank of river Clyde, 6 miles SW. of Biggar; P.O.; the ry. sta. is on the left bank of the river; the church (St Ninian's) is old; in vicinity are the ruins of the Tower of Lamington, an old fortalice, and Lamington House, a modern mansion, seat of Lord Lamington. "
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887