A parish of SE Edinburghshire, containing, towards its NE corner, Heriot station of the Waverley section of the North British railway, 19 ¼ miles (16 by road) SE of Edinburgh, with a post and telegraph office. It is bounded NW by Borthwick, N by Crichton, NE by Fala, SE by Stow, SW by Innerleithen in Peeblesshire, a W by Temple. Its greatest length, from NE to SW, is 8 ¾ miles; and its greatest breadth 4 ½ miles. Its area is now 16,167 ¼ acres, the Boundary Commissioners having in 1891 transferred to this parish the Cowbraehill detached portion of the parish of Borthwick, containing 666 acres, and the Nettleflat detatched portion of the parish of Stow, containing 463 acres. Formed by the confluence of Blackhope, Hope, and Dewar Burns, which all three have their source near the Peeblesshire border, Heriot Water winds 4 ¾ miles east-north-eastward through the interior, till it unites with Gala Water, itself rising on the northern verge of the parish.
(Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer