"FERNESS (GLENFERNESS), a mansion in Ardclach parish, Nairnshire, on the right bank of the winding Findhorn, 8 ½ miles SW of Duniphail station. Founded in 1837 by Sir James Montgomery Cuninghame, Bart., it stands amid finely-wooded grounds, and is now the seat of Alexander Leslie-Leven, twelfth Earl of Leven since 1641, and ninth of Melville since 1690 (b. 1817; suc. 1876), who holds 7805 acres in the shire, valued at £1317 per annum.—Ord. Sur., sh. 84, 1876."
F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4)