"A considerable town in Roxburghshire, pleasantly situated at the confluence of the rivers Teviot and Tweed, on an extensive plain, bounded on all sides by rising grounds covered with plantations, forming a most beautiful amphitheatre. It is built in the manner of a Flemish town, with a large square, and 6 streets going off from it at regular distances. In the square stands the town-house, with the principal houses and shops ... During the border wars, which long spread desolation and misery over the country, Kelso was three times burnt down by the English: it was also totally destroyed in 1686, by an accidental fire, and nearly so about 60 years ago ... The parish, which formerly contained 3 parishes, viz. Kelso, Maxwell and St James's, is of an irregular triangular fiture, each side of which is 4½ miles in length ... Population of the town and parish in 1801, 4196."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.