"A parish in Roxburghshire, lying on the S. bank of the river Tweed, nearly 4 miles in length, and 3 in breadth ... Upon the estate of Littledean are the remains of an old tower, which had been strongly fortified, long the residence of the Kerrs of Littledean. On the moor of Rutherford are the vestiges of a Roman encampment, with a Roman causeway. Near the border, betwixt the parishes of Maxton and Ancrum, is the scene of a dreadful battle, followed in 1543 between the English and Scottish armies: the place is called Lilliard's Edge, from a young woman of the name of Lilliard who fought with great bravery along with the Scots, and who lies buried in the field of battle. Population in 1801, 368."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.