Coedana

"COEDANA, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Twrcelyn, in the county of Anglesey, North Wales, 2 miles S.E. of Llanerchymedd, and 10 from the Gaerwen station of the Chester and Holyhead section of the North-Western railway. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Llaneilian, in the diocese of Bangor, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Anne, is an ancient edifice." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

topup

Census

The 1851 Census of Coedana in "As Enumerated" and "Surname Order" form - provided by Joyce Hinde.

topup

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Coedana Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 1627 acres; Population 172 males, 172 females, total 344

  • Coedana Parochial Chapel              Attendance - 30 congregational scholars     Perpetual curacy annexed to the  rectory of Llaneilian        D Ellis, Curate, Llangefni
  •  
  • Peniel, Independents      Erected 1813      Attendance - (average) 150   "Within half a mile to the town of Llanerchymedd. Divine Service Occasionally with a burial place attached to the Chapel"     John Roberts, Minister, Llanerchymedd
  • Capel Peniel, Ind - on geograph.org.uk     and   "Peniel Independent Chapel and Sunday School were built in1811..."        coflein
  •  
  • Coedana Sunday School was part of Capel Jerwsalem [Welsh CM ] (see Llanerchymedd/Amlwch)    coflein
topup

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office

Church at Coedana - photograph on geograph.org site

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Coedana which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

COED-ANNA (COEDANAU), a parish partly in the hundred of TWRCELYN, and partly in that of TAL Y BOLION, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (S. E.) from Llanerchymedd, on the road from Beaumaris, containing 262 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llaneilian, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Blenwydd, is a small ancient structure, erected about the year 630: divine service is performed in it every alternate Sunday. William Thomas, in 1772, bequeathed £10, and Margaret Owen, in 1784, gave by deed £20, towards the endowment of a school for teaching poor children. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £102. 1.
( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Coedana to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Coedana has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Land and Property

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Coedana Community Council; 1895-1984: records, accounts
  • Coedana Land Tax; 1745-1814: assessments
  • Coedana Parish; 1813-1991: records
  • Coedana Tithes; 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
  • Coedana Window Tax; 1760: assessments
topup
topup

Military History

First World War diary of Thomas Richard Owen, Coedana, Anglesey, May-August 1918 - on the People's Collection Wales site