"BISHOP'S TEIGNTON, a long straggling village and parish, on the north side of the estuary of the river Teign, two miles W. of Teignmouth, and four miles E.N.E. of Newton-Abbot, has 992 inhabitants and 4075A. 3R. 20P. of land, including the hamlets of Luton and Coombe; many scattered farm houses, and several neat villas, commanding delightful views of the Teign, and its opposite banks, down to the sea coast. The Rev. John Comyns, M.A., who has been patron and incumbent of the vicarage since 1801, and also impropriator of the great tithes, owns a great part of the parish, and is lord of the manors of Bishop's Teignton and Radway. . . . Lord Clifford is lord of the manor of Luton; and that of Lindridge is held by the Rev. Jas. A. Templer, in trust for his son. . . . The Church (St. John,) is an ancient fabric, with a tower containing six bells, and crowned by a shingled spire. It has several neat monuments. . . . The Wesleyans have a meeting room here, and the Bible Christians occupy a chapel, formerly belonging to Baptists. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Exminster Hundred, a Peculiar jursidiction of the Bishop of Exeter. Luton hamlet was created a modern parish in 1866.