"St. Petrox Parish Church stands south of the town, immediately behind the castle, and is a very ancient structure, which has undergone many repairs and alterations. It has a low tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a very short spire. It had formerly a chantry, founded in the reign of Edward III., and the ancient manor house of Clifton stood near it. The living is a perpetual curacy, which has been augmented with Queen Anne's Bounty, and was valued in 1831 at £120. It is in the patronage of the rector of Stoke Fleming, and incumbency of the Rev. F.M. Walter, B.D. St. Petrox' Chapel of Ease stands in the Higher street, and was built by subscription in 1831, at the cost of about £2000. It is a plain Gothic structure, and many of the pews are free. . . . The late Sir John Henry Seale was created a baronet in 1838, and died in 1844. Sir H.P. Seale is . . . lord of the manor of South Town, comprising the parish of St. Petrox, and formerly belonging to the Fitzstephen, Fleming, Mohun, Carew, and Southcote families." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish within the seaport, market town and borough of Dartmouth, in Coleridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter, that had 727 inhabitants in 1801.