WISBOROUGH GREEN is an extensive parish, 3 miles west from Billingshurst railway station, and 5 north-east from Petworth, in the Western division of the county, union and county court district of Petworth, rape of Arundel, hundreds of Bury, Rotherbridge and West Easwrith, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington. The church of St. Peter is an old stone building standing on an eminence: it has nave, aisles, chancel, and octangular shingled spire and 4 bells. The living is a vicarage, with the curacy of Loxwood annexed, joint annual value £440, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and held by the Rev. Maze William Gregory, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford. There is a Parochial school for boys and girls, held in a neat building, erected by subscription. A branch of the Petworth union for children is situated here. Drunswick Place is an ancient house, a seat of the early Bishops of Chichester: it is now occupied by Mr. James Woods, an extensive farmer. The soil is chiefly a strong clay, belonging to various owners. The population in 1861 was 1,682, and the number of acres 8,494, a great portion of which are woods.
LOXWOOD (or Loxwood End) is a hamlet, 3 miles north. The chapel of ease is a neat building, consisting of body and chancel.
HARESFOLD, SHIPBOURN, and PALLINGHAM are hamlets, with 1,970 acres, and are included in Wisborough Green. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]