GILBERTSTOWN, or BENDENSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. w.) from Tullow, on the road to Leighlin; coittnining 567 inhbitants. Building stone is found, and there is some bog. Prior to 1830 the parish formed part of the union of Aghade. The living in a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £ 250.0.8.
In the R. C, divisions it is the hend of a uniion or district, also called Ballon andi Ratue comprising; the parishes of Gilbertstown, Ballon, Kellistown, Templepetre.
Aghnde, and parts of Fennagh and Urglin, in which union are two chapels situuted at Ballon and Ratoe.
About 180 children ftre ectueutetl in a nationall school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.