"DALMUIR, village, 6¼ miles east-south-east of Dumbarton. It has a post office under Glasgow, a railway station, extensive paper-works, and a public school with about 75 scholars. Pop. 936."
"DALMUIR-SHORE, quondam village on the Clyde, ½ mile from Dalmuir, Dumbartonshire. It had an unsightly appearance and was destroyed about 1860."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]