"DUNTOCHER, town, on rivulet amid opening of Kilpatrick Hills, 9 miles north-west of Glasgow. It is modern, but contains an ancient bridge, believed to be Roman, and adjoins a hill on which Roman relics, preserved in Glasgow University museum, were found; and it has a post office under Glasgow, 4 factories, Established, Free, United Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic churches, and a public school. Pop. 1572."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]