"JAMESTOWN, town and quoad sacra parish in Dumbartonshire. The town stands in upper part of Vale of Leven, ¾ mile south-sout-east of Balloch, and has a post office designated of Dumbartonshire, a railway station, extensive printworks, a steepled church of 1869, and a public school with about 388 scholars. Pop. of the town, 2170; of the quoad sacra parish, 2925."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]