"MARYKIRK, (or Aberluthnott), a parish in the county Kincardine, Scotland, 3 miles S.W. of Laurencekirk, by the Scottish North-Eastern railway, on which it is a station. It is situated on the N. bank of the North Esk, at the extremity of the How or Hollow of the Mearns, and includes the villages of Luthermuir and Marykirk. It is bounded by Garvock and St. Cyrus on the E., Laurencekirk on the N., and Fettercairn on the W. It is 4 miles in length by between 3 and 4 in breadth, and has an area of 9,600 acres. The surface is level, and the soil, though various, is chiefly fertile, and well cultivated. Sandstone abounds and is extensively quarried, and in some parts various kinds of trap occur. The parish is in the presbytery of Fordoun and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister's stipend is £246. The par, church is a modern structure. In the district there are the following places of worship:-a Free church, an United Presbyterian church, a Baptist chapel, and a Congregational chapel. There are five non-parochial schools. The ancient name of the parish was Aberluthnott, and it was given by Cardinal Beaton in 1540 to Barclay of Mathers. The parish contains several corn-mills, five saw-mills, a flax-mill, and a spinning-mill. Hand-loom linen-weaving employs a good number of the inhabitants. Balmachewan, Hatton, Inglismaldie, Kirktonhill, and Thornton Castle, are the principal seats. There are Druidical remains at Hospital, Balmakillie, &c. It is said that a battle was fought between the English and Scots at Inglisburn. The parish is intersected by the Aberdeen railway."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)