" Roberton, a village and an ancient parish in the Upper Ward of Lanarkshire. The village, standing near the left bank of the river Clyde, 3 miles SSE of Lamington station, has a U.P. church, rebuilt in 1873. The ancient parish, lying around the village, was united to Wiston in 1772.—Ord. Sur.., sh. 23, 1865. "
From Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882-4