"In this parish are 5142 heads of families, 2439 male child, 2432 female child, 484 male servants, 935 female servants, in all 11432 individuals, and 2893 families. 432 individuals reside in Restalrig, 557 in Abbeyhill and 1497 in Calton of Edinburgh."
(From the Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799 Vol II)
"The story of Leith" by John Russell was published by Thomas Nelson & Sons, Ltd of London and Edinburgh in 1922. The book is 472 pages long and includes an index. The history starts with prehistoric times and runs through to the First World War, just before the book was published.
"The Port of Leith: its history and its people" by Sue Mowat, ISBN 0 85976 403 6, published by Forth Ports PLC (Leith) in conjunction with John Donald Publishers Ltd. The book concentrates on the history since 1329 when Leith was granted by Robert the Bruce to the burgesses of Edinburgh. The story is told through the people of Leith, and illustrated throughout with photographs, drawings and copies of original documents. The history runs right up to 1994 and there is an extensive bibliography section at the end, as well as a detailed index. The book is 468 pages long.
The parish church has records for births dating from 1599, for marriages from 1588 and for deaths from 1662. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.