"LOCHWINNOCH, town and parish in southwest border of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish contains also the villages of Howwood and Newton-of-Beltrees, measures about 12 miles by 6, and comprises 19,507 acres. ..... The surface is bisected by Castle-Semple Loch, includes a rich valley along the sides of that lake, rises thence very irregularly to the south-eastern and north-western boundaries, and culminates in the north-west in the lofty hill of Mistylaw. Coal, limestone, and sandstone are worked. Chief seats are Castle-Semple, Barr, and Garthland; and chief antiquities are Barr, Elliston, and Auchenbathie castles. A chapel-of-ease is at Howwood, and 5 schools for 597 scholars are in the parish."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]