"PORT GLASGOW, town and parish on north coast of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish excludes a western part of the town, measures about 1½ miles by 1, and comprises 944 acres. ..... Pop. of the whole, quoad civilia, 10,912; quoad sacra, 7556. The surface comprises prolongation of the low flat tract contiguous to the Clyde, a rapid ascent of green and wooded hill thence to the middle, and a tabular tract thence to the southern boundary."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]