"The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with crocketed pinnacles and lofty crocketed spire strengthened by flying buttresses and containing a clock and 8 bells with chimes: two Norman pillars remain on the north side: the south aisle is Decorated, and the north aisle, tower and spire Perpendicular: in 1856 a stained window was placed in the chancel: in 1862 the interior was restored from designs by the late Sir G. G. Scott R.A. at a cost of about £3,000; a chapel (formerly a school-room), forming the eastern end of the south aisle, was restored in 1862 in memory of Lieut.-Gen. Sir Harry George Waklyn Smith bart. G.C.B. born at Whittlesey in 1788, and died in London, October 12, 1860; a life-size bust, by G. G. Adams, and a tablet have been erected, and stained glass inserted in three of the windows, as memorials to the same officer: the stained west window was given by the late Mrs. Waller, wife of the late vicar, and the reredos by the late Thomas Bowker esq.: in the chancel are sedilia and a stoup formerly used for holy water: the church affords 900 sittings, all of which are free. The register dates from the year 1559, but the earlier portion is partly obliterated." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
Whittlesey St Mary: Records of baptisms 1683-1721, 1738-1903, marriages 1654-1721, 1737-1960, burials 1683-1721, 1738-1957 and banns 1784-1853, 1906-76 (inluding St Andrew 1695-1815) reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1642, 1661-1856 (including St Andrew after 1700) can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1600-43, 1661-1851, marriages 1599-1643, 1654-1851 and burials 1599-1643, 1661-1851. The indexed transcripts of the registers are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search). Microfilm copies of the Bishop's Transcripts reside at the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1599-1700, 1722-37 including St Andrew 1722-37 further photocopies are held at Huntingdon Record Office for baptisms & burials 1683-1721 and marriages 1654-1721. Transcripts of marriages 1654-94 were published in Fenland Notes & Queries , volume 5, 1902.