"CHISLET, a parish in the hundred of Bleangate, lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent, 6 miles N.E. of Canterbury, its post town, and 10 from Ramsgate. It is situated on the river Stour, 3 miles from the Grove Ferry station of the South-Eastern line. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £231, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern edifice in the early English style of architecture, with tower. Here the Independents and Wesleyans have each a chapel; and there are free schools for both sexes, endowed with land by a former archbishop of Canterbury, which now produces £45 per annum. Taylor's charity, for the general benefit of the poor, produces £80 per annum.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]