Hide
Laceby
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
Hide
hide
- Maps
- Medical Records
- Migration, Internal◬
- Military History
- Military Records
- Names, Geographical◬
- Names, Personal◬
- Naturalisation & Citizenship◬
- Newspapers◬
- Occupations◬
- Politics & Government
- Poor Houses, Poor Law
- Population
- Postal & Shipping Guides◬
- Probate Records◬
- Public Records◬
- Schools
- Societies
- Voting Registers◬
Hide
Hide
The Laceby Library is located at:
- The Stanford Centre
- Cooper Lane
- Laceby, DN37 7AX
- Phone: (+44) (0) 14723-23684
- A cemetery of 1.5 acres was formed in 1875 and placed in the control of the parish council.
- The cemetery is located off of Cemetery Crescent.
- Ian S. has a photograph of The cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2018.
- Additional land has been added to the cemetery as needed.
- Burial records for the Community Cemetery from July 1875 to July 1939 are at the Lincolnshire Archives.
- The parish was in the Grimsby sub-district of the Caistor Registration District.
- In 1890, the Registration Districts were re-organized and this sub-district became its own Registration District.
- The North Lincolnshire Library holds a copy of the parish census returns for 1841, 1851, 1881 and 1891.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1841 | H.O. 107 / 639 |
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2113 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2391 |
1871 | R.G. 10 / 3417 |
1881 | R.G. 11 / 3274 & 3275 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2620 |
1901 | R.G. 13 / 3097 |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Margaret.
- The church is built from Ancaster stone. It may date back to prior to 1424, some time in the late Norman period. Some sources date it from the 11th Century.
- In 1583, the rector of this church, John WHITGIFT was appointed as Archbishop of Canterbury by Queen Elizabeth I. He had been born at Grimsby in 1530.
- The church was restored in 1870.
- The church seats 300 people.
- There is a photograph of St. Margaret's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Margaret's Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2006.
- Here is a photo of St. Margaret's, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1538.
- We have a partial Parish Register Extract in a pop-up text file. Your additions are welcomed.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a 1641/2 Protestation Return for the Haverstoe Deanery to make your search easier.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1810 and replaced it in 1853 and the Primitive Methodists built two here in 1837 and 1861. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Methodist Chapel that closed in 2011 on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2014.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Grimsby sub-district of the Caistor Registration District.
- In 1890, the Registration Districts were re-organized and this sub-district became its own Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
This village and parish are in the northeast of Lincolnshire, about 4 miles south-west of Grimsby. Aylesby parish lies to the north. The Laceby Beck runs along the eastern edge of the village. The parish covers about 2,100 acres.
Laceby Acres is a distinct settlement and private housing estate. It lies on the A46 road to the east of the village, just within the Grimsby town border.
If you are planning a visit:
- There's a view of Laceby Beck on Geo-graph as photographed by Paul GLAZZARD in July, 2008.
- By automobile, take the A46 trunk road out of Grimsby toward Caistor. Watch for signs for the intersection of the A18 trunk road. At that intersection, you are at Laceby village.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of the A46 and A18 intersection on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2006.
- You may want to select bus service or car hire to explore the village. Check out Transport options in the area.
- If you are a golf enthusiast, visit the local club in Laceby Manor on Barton Street. Tele: 01472 873468.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Laceby to another place.
- The first settlers here are thought to date from 500 AD.
- In 1546, on the 2nd of July, Laceby burned a Witch. The register records, "A witch was devoured in the Bounds of the ffeilds of Lacebye and buryed there."
- A new bridge was built over the Laceby Beck in 1841.
- Laceby had a Temperence Hall built in 1872.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Temperence Hall on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.
- The central distribution site for Morrisons supermarkets lies within the parish.
- The Laceby Bypass for the A46 was built in 1959. There is a 20 minute colour silent film of the event at Lincs Film, film #048.
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of the 1815 Bar and Grill on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2014. This used to be the Waterloo Inn.
- The Waterloo Inn on Caistor road provided a place to stay. Today the name has changed to the Nag's Head, after a merger. Individuals' names associated with the Inn are:
Year Proprietor 1842 Sarah FRENCH, vict. 1868 Mrs. Ann HOBSON 1872 Mrs. Ann HOBSON, vict. 1882 Charles Conrad BOLTON, vict. 1900 Charles Conrad BOLTON 1913 James Samuel HILL 1930 James WEST
There are no lodgers at the Inn in the 1881 census (R.G. 11/3275 folio 66):
Relationship Name Sex Age Where born head Charles Conrad BOLTON M 25 Grimsby, Lincolnshire wife Charlotte Louisa BOLTON F 24 Grimsby, Lincolnshire son Harry BOLTON M 3 Laceby, Lincolnshire dau. Elizabeth Ann BOLTON F 5 Laceby, Lincolnshire servant Ellen COCON F 18 Laceby, Lincolnshire servant Richard WILLIAMSON M 23 Malton, Yorkshire servant Annie PARKER F 15 Winteringham, Lincolnshire
- Laceby Hall is noted as "unoccupied" in 1841.
- A Manor House is mentioned but not described in early directories. It was the residence of Mr. John T. JENNINGS in 1900 and 1912.
- A Laceby House is also mentioned but not described in early directories.
- Oaklands was the residence of Mrs. LONGS in 1900.
- Little Laceby was the residence of Mr. Robert BROOKS in 1900.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA213066 (Lat/Lon: 53.542297, -0.170717), Laceby which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- The parish had the Laceby Sanatorium which was open in 1930. Bertram C. STEVENS was the M.D. in charge, Miss DAY was the matron. I found no record of the sanatorium prior to 1930.
- These facilities were not required to archive their patient records.
- A Lincolnshire cross mounted on an octagonal base of blue granite is the War Memorial that was erected near the cemetery entrance in 1920. 30 men from the parish perished in the Great War.
- Ian S. also has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2018.
The list of military men who served in World War I are on the Roll of Honour:
Roll of Honour 1914-1918
George Street Wesleyan Circuit, Great Grimsby, Cottagers Plot, Laceby
- BURMAN Albert Pte 10 Lincolns
- CATER George Gunner 295 Brigade RFA, France
- CATER Arthur, 2nd class air mechanic, Royal Air Force
- FREEMAN George Pte 2 Lincolns, France
- GATHERGOOD Albert Stoker Royal Navy, HMS Submarine E51
- GLADDING William Minesweeper RNRT, Won DSM off Scarborough Minefield ? 6.1.1918
- HARSLEY George Sgt MJRASC, Egypt, Ship torpedoed going out -- Mar 1917
- JOHNSON Robert Drummer 3 Lincolns
- KENDALL John Captain 10 East Yorks, Egypt and France
- KENDALL Alfred, Coy Sgt Maj 2/5 & 7 Lincolns, Wounded 19 Oct. Died 20.10.1918
- MUMBY Charles CA Royal Navy ? HMS Iron Duke
- STAMP John Signaller RNR Coastguard
- SYKES John George Gunner 5 Res, Lance Fus
- SYKES Thomas Ellis Private 5 Res, Lance Fus
Notes: Alfred KENDALL served as a Company Sergeant Major, 240030, in the 7th Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment in France and Flanders. He died of wounds on 21st October 1918 age 31 and is buried in Awoingt British Cemetery, Nord, France, Grave I A 8. He was the son of Samuel and Mary Kendall, Laceby, Grimsby and was the husband of Anne M. Kendall of Melville, Saskatchewan, Canada. Alfred was born at Immingham and was living at New Cleethorpes at the time he enlisted at Grimsby. On the 1901 Census he is living with his parents at Cottagers Plot, Laceby, age 14, and is working, like his father, as an agricultural labourer.
Please also visit:
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Bradley Haverstoe Wapentake in the Central Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
- Some Directories of the early 1900s show the parish as being in the North Lindsey division of the county.
- You can contact the Parish Council on civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist you with family history research.
- District governance is provided by the North-East Lincolnshire Council. The same restrictions apply.
- The parish had a number of charities to support the poor. The principal one was the BROOKS dole of £50 which was divided amongst five poor women over the age of 40.
- There was also the Stanford Trust which would pay for some of the boys' apprenticeships.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Grimsby petty session hearings.
- As a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Caistor Poor Law Union.
- In 1890, this parish was transferred to the new Grimsby Poor Law Union.
Year Inhabitants 1801 368 1831 616 1841 755 1871 1,025 1881 1,017 1891 986 1911 1,027 1931 1,153 1951 1,273 1971 2,408 2001 2,886
- Philip STANFORD died in 1712 (his name is oft recorded as STAMFORD) and left all his land and property to his wife Sarah. She thought for a few years about what she was going to do with her inheritance, then decided in 1720 to set up a Trust and empower it to improve education. The Trustees of the Education Foundation built the Stanford Charity School for children from the parishes of Laceby, Bradley and Barnoldby-le-Beck. The school could accomodate 258 children. It is now known as the Stanford Junior and Infants' School and is on Cooper Lane. (Note: The name of the school in several sources is given as the Stanford Free School.)
- Stanford Junior and Infants' School now teaches about 245 children and the foundation still exists and functions. You can try this link for the Stanford Junior and Infants' School, but I found it somewhat slow to load.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Laceby has it's own family and local history society, formed in 1977:
- Laceby History Group
- Secretary
- 142 Caistor Road
- Laceby, Lincs, DN37 7JG
Problems accessing the site above should be addressed to the Laceby History Group.