"CHELSEA, a petty sessions town, and extensive suburban district of London, comprising the parishes of Upper Chelsea, Lower Chelsea and part of Knightsbridge, being locally in the Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 3 miles S.W. of St. Paul's. " (There is more of this description).
"CREMORNE HOUSE, in the parish of Chelsea, hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 2 miles S.W. of St. Paul's, London. It is situated on the river Thames, and is now a place of amusement, but once the seat of Viscount Cremorne. [Cremorne Road is on modern maps as the continuation Westwards of Cheyne Walk. ]"
"LITTLE CHELSEA, a hamlet partly in the parish of Chelsea and partly in that of Kensington, hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, half a mile S.W. of Chelsea. It contains St. George's workhouse, formerly the residence of the earls of Shaftesbury; Chelsea Park, the Pavilion, and the "Goat and Boots" inn, the sign of which was originally painted by Moreland.
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.