KINEAGH, a parish, partly in the barony of RATHVILLY, county of CARLOW, but chiefly in that of KILKEA and MOONE, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Baltinglass, on the road from Dublin to Wexford; containing 1441 inhabitants.
Agriculture is improving, and there is fine granite for building. The principal seats are Bettyfield, the residence of - Hutchinson, Esq.; Rickettstown, of the Rev. J. Whitty; Philipstown, of J. Penrose, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the patronage of the Vicars Choral of St. Patrick's cathedral, Dublin; the rectory is partly appropriate to the Bishop of Kildare and the vicars choral of St. Patrick's, and partly impropriate in the Duke of Leinster, H.
Gumming, Esq., and J. D. Duckett, Esq. The tithes amount to £334. 2. 2½., of which £80 is payable to the bishop, £80 to the vicars choral, £21. 17. 9. to the Duke of Leinster, £14. 11. 7. to H. Cumming, Esq., £22. 18. 9. to J. D. Duckett, Esq., and £114. 14. 3½.
to the vicar. There is a glebe-house, and the glebe comprises 18a. 3r. 24p. A neat church was built about 1834, by a grant of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions it is partly in the union or district of Castledermot, in the diocese of Dublin, and partly in that of Rathvilly, in the diocese of Kildare and Leighlin. Here are the ruins of the old church and of an abbey.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.