We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Clontibret

CLONTIBRET, a parish, in the barony of CREMORNE, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, on the confines of the county of Armagh, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Castle-Blayney, on the road to Monaghan; containing 15,941 inhabitants, and comprising, according to the Ordnance survey, 26,553¼ statute acres, of which 334 are part of Mucknoe lake, 198¾ are in small loughs, 3920 bog, and the remainder, with the exception of a small portion of rough rocky pasture, good arable land, and all under tillage. Agriculture is improving; and the bog affords abundance of good fuel. Grauwacke slate is found in abundance, and is quarried for building and for repairing the roads. A mine of antimony was discovered on Lord Middleton's property, and was worked for some time, but not paying, it was discontinued, A lead mine has been recently opened in Carriganure, on the estate of E. Lucas, Esq. M.P., of Castleshane; and lead ore is also found in the townland of Killicrum.

Millmount, the handsome residence of A. Swanzy, ESQ. and Rockfield House, of H. Swanzy, Esq., are within the parish. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, constituting the corps of the arch-, deaconry of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £800; and the gross revenue of the dignity, including tithes, glebe, and lands, is returned at £852. The glebe-house was erected in 1752, by aid of a gift of £ 100 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 40 acres, besides which the lands of the archdeaconry, called the "Archdeacon's Hill," situated in the parish of Clogher, contain 9a. 2r. 12p., let on lease at a rent of £16. 16. per annum. The church is a plain old structure, with an ancient square tower surmounted by a spire; it is in a very dilapidated condition, and it is in contemplation to erect a new church. Divine service is also occasionally performed in a school-house at the southern extremity of the parish. In the R. C. divisions, part of the parish is included in the union or district of Mucknoe or Macrey, and the remainder forms a district of itself; the chapel is at Anyallow. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, and also one in connection with the Seceding Synod on the confines of the parish; and there is also a place of worship for Primitive Wesleyan Methodists. There are parochial and other schools aided by private subscription; in which about 520 children are instructed; and there are two pay schools, in which are about 120 children. There 3 C is a dispensary at Castleshane, close to the parish, in the benefits of which it partakes. Charitable donations to the amount of £500, and £15 per ann., have been bequeathed by various benefactors for the relief of the poor. Much pine or fir, with the roots frequently upright, and the mark of fire on them, and much black and grey oak, are found in the boggy lands. In Cornero wood, on the shore of Mucknoe lake, are the ruins of an ancient castle.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Clontibret which are provided by:

Historical Geography

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clontibret to another place.