"LENZIE, town and quoad sacra parish in Dumbartonshire and Lanarkshire, and an ancient district wholly in Dumbartonshire. The town stands 6¼ miles north-east of Glasgow. and has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments, under Glasgow, a railway junction station, Established, United Presbyterian, and Episcopalian churches, and the Glasgow Convalescent Home, and is near the Barony or Woodilee Lunatic Asylum. Pop. of the town, 1316; of the quoad sacra parish, 1440. This district was originally a barony belonging to the Earls of Wigton, but was afterwards co-extensive with all the detached section of Dumbartonshire, now forming Kirkintilloch and Cumbernauld parishes."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]