"Name, Situation, Extent, &c. The parish of Polmont was disjoined from that of Falkirk in 1724. The derivation of the name is uncertain; but one of the titles of the Duke of Hamilton, viz. Lord Polmont, is taken from it. The parish is situated in the county of Stirling, presbytery of Linlithgow, and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale. Its greatest length is 5 miles, and its breadth 2. It is intersected by the Firth of Forth on the north, and the river Avon on the east; and partly by the great canal."
Parish of Polmont (County of Stirling) By the Rev. Mr William Finlay. (Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799)